Friday, August 24, 2007

BookSwim

OK, I'm not sure how I feel about this new company called BookSwim. Maybe it's good for people who can't or don't leave the house...or don't live near any "regular" libraries. BookSwim is like Netflix for books. You're not trading books with other people, you're just basically renting a book from their library. Now, their library has "Over 150,000 Titles"...the Boston Public Library has over 6 million. Neither charges late fees (as long as you renew - BPL people). I once belonged to a service like this, I can't remember what it was called but I do remember that their selection was not so great. They had a lot of mass market best sellers (kind of like a book of the month club) but not a lot of the really great stuff. I would imagine that with 150,00 (+ they say, 151,000?) titles, you're not going to see a lot of great literature. Also, BookSwim? Where does that name come from? I'm so judgmental.

No comments: