Friday, July 24, 2009

I'm Reading

The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon by David Grann.

Before I talk about that, I just want to conclude my thoughts on It Sucked and Then I Cried. That book was so honestly written. I loved Armstrong's unblushing admittance to eating nacho cheese Doritos by the bagful and having pop tarts every morning for breakfast. That along with her sense of humor, easy writing style and willingness to share every aspect of her pregnancy (I mean EVERY ASPECT) made this book a pleasure to read. Go out and get it already! What're you waitin' fer?

Ok The Lost City of Z... I can't put this book down, except I have to occasionally because Michael and I are reading it at the same time plus sometimes I have to do other things, like drive. One thing I know for sure is that I NEVER want to go into the Amazon, EVER, NEVER EVER NEVER. Do you know there are worms that burrow under your skin, bees that sting your eyes, bats that suck your blood, fish that will eat you, snakes that weigh over a ton, not to mention poisonous plants, incessant rain...should I go on? Anyway, I don't need to go, because Percy Fawcett did and David Grann is writing about it.

Fawcett entered the Amazonian rainforest in 1925 to find a lost city and was never heard from again. Grann goes into the Amazon to follow Fawcett's route and hopefully solve the mystery and maybe even find the Lost City of Z. I can't wait to see how it all ends.

No comments: